Friday, May 29, 2009

Collapsing (Un)Sanity

I am and ever shall be a rabid Unsane fan. If they came out with a new album every year I would still hunger for more. So when Celan's first album, Halo arrived and I saw that Chris Spencer was involved I made that same "yelping" noise I made when Cutthroats 9 arrived, (though not quite as loudly as when Unsane got back together).

Celan is named after the Jewish/German poet Paul Celan and features the aforementioned Unsane alum, Chris Spencer, Ari Benjamin Meyers of Einstürzende Neubauten/Redux Orchestra, Niko Wenner of Oxbow and Philipp Korner and Xavi Thiem of the now defunt German Noise-Spazz band flu.ID Elements are present from each member although Spencers influence dominates. This is great news for those of us who wouldn't have it any other way.

If you're an Unsane fan, you'll love it. If you're an Oxbow or flu.ID fan, you'll dig the hell out of it. If you're a die-hard Einstürzende Neubauten fan that's followed them since 1980, own all their records, bootlegs and side-projects, etc, you'll cream... or not. Never mind... when I think of those fans, I picture the guy from The Simpsons that retrieves the Fighting Hellfish paintings from Bart and Grandpa Simpson and tells the guys moving it to "...Ja ja ja, mach schnell mit der art things, huh? I must get back to Dancecentrum in Struttgart in time to see Kraftwerk."

This is no avantgarde, experimental, dark ambient, industrial, this is refined noise rock with "hints" of the all those things. But with that in mind, it's no off-shoot of Unsane or Oxbow either. Do yourself a favor and find this release. You may thank me later.

Celan on Myspace

(((03)))

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home