Monday, November 13, 2006

A Nod to Carcass

I can remember the first time I read a review of Symphonies of Sickness, I was in creative writing class in high school. I thought "what a dumb name for a band" and nearly passed over it until I saw the words Napalm Death in the review, so I read it. It talked of how gross it was...But intelligent, and it had 16 bonus tracks which was actually the Reek of Putrifaction album so I made it my mission to find the CD as it had Bill Steer on guitar and I was a fan of his work with Napalm. Well as luck would fucking have it...The album was on a very young, pre-American distribution Earche Records and the disc was impossible to find (especially in the one-horse town in Missouri that I was living in at the time). It wasn't until I came to visit my family in Texas that I came across a $23+ import copy at Underground Records. I can honestly say, that for the next 6 to 7 months after the purchase that it is all I listened to, (I even ignored my expensive Scum+ From Enslavement to Obliteration CD). In the months that followed I carried the booklet to the CD around school with me, showing it to friends, relishing the fact that I had a CD of a band no one had but everyone wanted to hear when they saw the intricate and sickening lyrics. My history teacher, Mr Frey even confiscated it at one point and read the lyrics. His response? "It's like the pre-med version of 'Never laugh when a hearse goes by'. It's very smart...But very dumb."

(((03)))

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home