Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Plus of The Minus Times


I obtained a copy of this CD after getting Mosquito Control in Austin the day after deadrightthere played a skate park north of there. I was floored by how heavily influenced they were by GODFLESH without totally ripping them off. However, it could not have prepared me for the total brilliance of The Red Sea, which I ordered from Relapse with a birthday gift certificate given to me by deadrightthere guitarist, Dave Powell (Happy Birthday to him, today, BTW!).

Although very short in length, it is by far one of my favorite albums and is smothered in obscure passages from the a short-lived David Lynch project called Hotel Room which adds layers of a haunting and disorienting, nonexistent storyline.

I was also lucky enough to get a copy of the 8" first press in opaque orange/white marble which is limited to 88 copies, world-wide (the only version that is more rare is the aqua/green transition version which is limited to 3 copies and is likely not owned by anyone not in the band or with the label).

In the grand scheme of the all-too-short career if ISIS, this stands alone as their heaviest and most extreme moment in my opinion and is worth a listen from anyone who worships at the altar of GODFLESH but sometimes needs to hear them honored instead of copied.

EP, Second Nature Recordings
April 16th, 1999

1.Charmicarmicarmicat Shines to Earth02:23
2.The Minus Times05:25
3.Red Sea07:17

(((03)))

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home