Tuesday, April 08, 2008

KVLT vs. the Download

I see people all the time posting that they are currently listening to this or that, but when I ask about it they say "oh, I don't have the art or liner notes, it's on MP3, I downloaded it", and I think to myself, "I wonder if people look at my play lists and wonder if I do that too." Well I don't.

Everything I post is either a CD or LP of a release. Granted sometimes they are promo copies either that I got from my stints in radio or journalism or that I got from Russ, but they are actual, tangible copies of the music.

I don't have anything against people dealing in MP3 because I know what a test of your patience it can be to try to alphabetize 2 to 3 thousand CDs and to try to transport even just a few dozen LPs, but I think a definite distinction should be made when someone says "oh, I have that album" and what they mean is that they have downloaded it.

When I say I'm listening to De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas, my copy is the 1994 Deathlike Silence Productions copy (w/correct purple coloring and lyrics). When I say I'm listening to Dog Days, I don't mean the Dog Days + 1 re-release and I most certainly don't mean that I have anything on MP3. In fact, I listen to .WAVs of my own collection... how kvlt is that..?!

I'm not trying to come off as elitist, I just like to collect, and I like tracking stuff down and I especially like it when I can find it at a bargain, I'm just one that thinks the distinctions should be made.

(((03)))

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home